I'm here now: http://oyblog.blogspot.com/


Currently...

    Follow me on Twitter

    javascript:void(0) Preview

    Saturday, August 16, 2008

    My Cooking Stars Aligned Today

    I slept late today, so tired from all the late night Olympics viewing. Why do they have to show them so late here in AZ? We know they're not really live. I knew two hours before I saw it who had won in gymnastics. I still watched though.

    Since I slept late, I didn't even think about eating until around 3:30, 4:00 PM. I decided I was going to make what I wanted and the guys could eat it, or not.

    There used to be a placed called Wingers and I loved their spicy-sweet wing sauce. I've craved it many times since they closed the couple of places here in the Valley that I used to go. I'ved looked up recipes in the past but never had the recommended hot sauce, Franks Red Hot, on hand. I bought some recently, so today I decided it was time.

    There are lots of recipes on the web, including one that had only two ingredients: Franks Red Hot sauce and brown sugar. I decided to combine a couple of recipes so I came up with: about 1 cup Franks Red Hot sauce, about 1 cup brown sugar, 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar, a dash of garlic powder and about 1/4 cup hot water. Mix everything in a saucepan and bring to a boil and boil on low for about 15 minutes. I broiled the wings and poured the sauce on at the end. Big YUM! I'm saving the leftover sauce for another time.

    The other recipe was for broccoli salad. I buy from Fry's (Kroger) occasionally but I thought it was sort of expensive for something that seems so basic. Again, there are lots of recipes on the web. I had tried one a few weeks ago that suggested blanching the broccoli. I didn't like this recipe as much. I don't know if it was the sauce or the blanching but I ended up tossing it. I decided to try again using different recipes as guides.

    I bought packaged broccoli the other day so I had it on hand, tore it up into smaller pieces. Then I diced about a third of a large red onion and threw in some bacon bits and dried cranberry. I didn't add nuts as some recipes suggested. For the dressing, mix about 1 cup of mayo (people say use mayo, not salad dressing), 2 tablespoons of white sugar and about 3 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar. Pour over the salad and refigerate at least 2 hours. It was still good even though I didn't give it time let the flavors "meld."

    I'm not the best cook, but these are keepers! Not being the most consistent cook either, I hope I can duplicate the recipes the next time I get the cravings. I know that's a lot of sugar but it's not like we're using ALL of the sauce and well, let's face it, raw broccoli needs something.

    The true test: Joaquin says he didn't like wings but I cooked him up a few without the sauce. He changed his mind today. Next time he wants four. He wasn't crazy abou the salad because he doesn't like raw veggies but cutting them into smaller pieces helped a little. We'll work on that.

    Labels: ,