I truly believe I have the most thoughtful, wonderful little boy. He instinctively seems to know exactly what to say to people to make them feel good. We were talking tacos today and he said he wanted to make them at his birthday party with Marco and Miguel. I suggested that we make his birthday a chef theme and dress in hats and aprons. "Oh, no," he said, "No dress up." After he thought about it though, he said he wanted to be Governor of his party. I asked if he was going to dress up. He said yes. We'll see. Somehow, I kind of think he could be the real Governor sometime in the future if he really wants to be.
Monday, Joaquin saved me another Uncrustable, which, if you're from outer space, is this wonderful little concoction composed of peanut butter and grape jelly encased in soft white bread. Kind of like a p. b. and j. empanada, or turnover, if you will. He said, "Close your eyes, I've got a surprise." (while I'm driving, no less.) And pulled out the extremely smooshed (yet extremely tasty) Uncrustable. I squealed. It was so good, not only because I like them so much, but because he thought of me, his old mom. Sure, he doesn't like p. b. and j. so wouldn't eat it anyway, but that's beside the point.
Today, he wanted to make tacos for dinner like they did at school one day a while back. So we went to the grocery store and bought taco shells, shredded cheese, tomatoes and ground beef. I wanted a different cheese but since he was cooking, I told him he could choose. I came home and prepared the ground beef filling and lettuce and put everything in bowls and he showed me how to assemble the tacos. It was too cute. I should've taken a picture but he didn't want his recipe on the Internet. He only made one then started eating. He was really hungry. I had to make my own following his instructions. Very tasty.
I asked him, "Is this taco filling as good as the one they make at school?" He nodded, except the shells were a bit stale and hard (just say no to Old--I mean really old--El Paso). So we started talking about cafeteria food and I asked him if he liked the way they cooked in the cafeteria. He said, "Yes...But, you cook much better, Mom."
Oh, my heart! See what I mean? His father could learn a lesson or two. He cooks, he gives thoughtful gifts and compliments and he even vacuums after dinner. No wonder he already has a couple of girlfriends.
Monday, Joaquin saved me another Uncrustable, which, if you're from outer space, is this wonderful little concoction composed of peanut butter and grape jelly encased in soft white bread. Kind of like a p. b. and j. empanada, or turnover, if you will. He said, "Close your eyes, I've got a surprise." (while I'm driving, no less.) And pulled out the extremely smooshed (yet extremely tasty) Uncrustable. I squealed. It was so good, not only because I like them so much, but because he thought of me, his old mom. Sure, he doesn't like p. b. and j. so wouldn't eat it anyway, but that's beside the point.
Today, he wanted to make tacos for dinner like they did at school one day a while back. So we went to the grocery store and bought taco shells, shredded cheese, tomatoes and ground beef. I wanted a different cheese but since he was cooking, I told him he could choose. I came home and prepared the ground beef filling and lettuce and put everything in bowls and he showed me how to assemble the tacos. It was too cute. I should've taken a picture but he didn't want his recipe on the Internet. He only made one then started eating. He was really hungry. I had to make my own following his instructions. Very tasty.
I asked him, "Is this taco filling as good as the one they make at school?" He nodded, except the shells were a bit stale and hard (just say no to Old--I mean really old--El Paso). So we started talking about cafeteria food and I asked him if he liked the way they cooked in the cafeteria. He said, "Yes...But, you cook much better, Mom."
Oh, my heart! See what I mean? His father could learn a lesson or two. He cooks, he gives thoughtful gifts and compliments and he even vacuums after dinner. No wonder he already has a couple of girlfriends.
Labels: everyday, Food, growing up too fast, Joaquin's Edumacation


<< Home