Another Blast From The Past

I learned tonight on "American Idol" that April 19, 2008 is Record Store Day. One of the questions was to the judges asking what was their first record. Of course, they were all cool, Randy's were The Beatles and, can't remember now, but believe me, it was cool, probably Jimmy Hendrix. Paula's were Jackson Five, Earth, Wind and Fire and Carole King's Tapestry. Simon didn't get a chance to say. Why don't they let that man talk?My first record was from the back of a Super Sugar Crisp cereal box. The same one pictured here. That was before they replaced the word "sugar" with "golden"--so lame. It was The Archies, "Sugar, Sugar." I played it on our stereo console and wore that record out. I must have really BEGGED my mother to buy the cereal because she rarely bought name brands. I believe its final demise came from a dropped glass of water which warped it, but boy did I enjoy it while I could. My mom got her money's worth out of that one.
Here I thought that this was special and come to find out that it was a regular promotional gimmick. Oh, the records I missed out on. Why don't they do anything like that anymore?
While browsing, I found this neat site with all sorts of vintage memorabilia. I had a blast surfing through.


<< Home