Strange Is A Relative Term & My Relatives Is Strange
We' been talking to a child psychologist about some of Joaquin's "quirks." She suggested "parent-child interaction therapy" in which we play with him for at least 15 minutes at least three times a week as his greatest, most interested, observering fan. It is child-led play. It is very difficult because we aren't supposed to ask questions, give leading phrases or give any directions.
It is supposed to be all his idea and we're supposed to say things like, "That is a great track layout, Joaquin! You did great work on the design!" If we have questions, we're not supposed to ask, instead, we phrase it like, "I wish I knew where those trains were going with those big loads." The idea is to make it all come from him and his imagination.
We've each tried it once. It is really hard not to ask questions and he's more than a little confused with our statements. So far, after telling him how much I like what he's done and what a good job he's doing with the tracks, he's asked me, "What you say, Mom? Why you saying?" Today, after receiving the same type of feedback, he taped his Daddy's mouth shut.
So much for support.
******
Four more days and really, I'm just not feeling it (Christmas). I'm going through the motions, we've finally got the tamales made. I've got tamale-soft hands. I wish I were more excited. I've only got a few more gifts to get, maybe some gift certificates, and I'm finished. I'm trying, for Joaquin's sake. Lights! Lights! Lights, that's really all he cares about right now and of course, Santa. I'm really enjoying watching him though. That's fun. "Mommy, are you happy?" "Yes, baby, you make me happy."
It is supposed to be all his idea and we're supposed to say things like, "That is a great track layout, Joaquin! You did great work on the design!" If we have questions, we're not supposed to ask, instead, we phrase it like, "I wish I knew where those trains were going with those big loads." The idea is to make it all come from him and his imagination.
We've each tried it once. It is really hard not to ask questions and he's more than a little confused with our statements. So far, after telling him how much I like what he's done and what a good job he's doing with the tracks, he's asked me, "What you say, Mom? Why you saying?" Today, after receiving the same type of feedback, he taped his Daddy's mouth shut.
So much for support.
******
Four more days and really, I'm just not feeling it (Christmas). I'm going through the motions, we've finally got the tamales made. I've got tamale-soft hands. I wish I were more excited. I've only got a few more gifts to get, maybe some gift certificates, and I'm finished. I'm trying, for Joaquin's sake. Lights! Lights! Lights, that's really all he cares about right now and of course, Santa. I'm really enjoying watching him though. That's fun. "Mommy, are you happy?" "Yes, baby, you make me happy."


<< Home