I'm here now: http://oyblog.blogspot.com/


Currently...

    Follow me on Twitter

    javascript:void(0) Preview

    Monday, October 15, 2007

    Blog Action Day

    Today is designated Blog Action Day, a day where over 14,000 bloggers will write about the environment. Today is also the day that former Vice President Al Gore won the 2007 Nobel Peace Prize along with a UN Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change for their work on bringing the issue of climate change to the forefront. Al Gore celebrated here in Arizona. Really, no better place to be at this time of year.

    I decided to write about little things that I've been doing. I didn't register on Blog Action Day website because, well, there's that little thing about over 14,000 bloggers...

    If you've been here before, you probably know about my spare room which is filled with so much junk, I don't know what I have. The other day, Joaquin asked where's all the junk because the room is slowly clearing out. How? Mainly because I'm trying really hard to think about every purchase I make. Do I really need it? That's the big question.

    The other day I was at Target. I saw so many Halloween doo-dads that I wanted and that Joaquin wanted. BUT WE DON'T NEED THEM. I have so many Halloween decorations already and I don't even decorate. I'll probably keep them until they wear out. I've also gotten lots of help from this website.

    I've been replacing the lightbulbs in the house with those compact fluorescent bulbs. I buy 3x concentrated laundry detergent without dyes or perfumes and we're not going to seed our lawn with rye grass this winter for a break in our water use. It's something, I think.

    I recycle; even stuff from work. Can you believe State of Arizona doesn't have a comprehensive recycling program. At least we have the city program that I can use.

    I know there's more because I'm constantly thinking about it. One thing I haven't done yet is compost. I've talked about it for a while, but haven't started. Perhaps this is the year. And, although this is sort of contrary to my de-cluttering agenda, I think I want one of these.

    Labels: ,