Happy Birthday, Tia!
In case some of you didn't know, Tia means aunt in spanish. This is what Joaquin calls his favorite aunt, who just happens to be my sister.
I couldn't have asked for a better sister than Tia, it wouldn't have been possible if I tried. Sometimes I desperately wish that I could have given Joaquin a brother, with the hopes that he could experience a relationship with a sibling like mine. When Grandma talks about her sister, you can hear it in her voice, I know exactly how she feels.
Tia is beautiful, kind, patient and smart. She used to read to me at night; she did the best Brer Rabbit ever. She potty trained me and used to take me on her dates with Tio Danny. Some of my best memories involve Tia...A rainy Saturday, listening to Colour My World on the stereo, over and over again, while frying up some doughnuts made from Pillsbury biscuit dough rolled in sugar.
More recently, she saved Joaquin from a crazed mother on the verge of pulling out every plant from the backyard as an example of what it would look like if he continued to pull Mommy's plants out. "I'll just take him with me," she said calmly.
Not that she's always sugar and spice. There's the episode that we call the "Lizzie Borden Incident," where Tia woke Mommy up at 3 AM because the dishes had to be done right then! There's the "Compact Incident" (Little girls and makeup don't go over very well with her, huh Angelica.) and who can forget the "Booklight Incident," I mentioned a few days ago.
We don't really say "I love you" too often. Maybe it just doesn't seem to be enough to voice how we truly feel. "Te amo," or "Je t'adore," comes closer, but we don't say those either, but we definitely feel it. That's why a hug goes a long way with us. We do say "thank you," a lot though. So, thank you, Grandma (and Popo), for giving me my sister and "Happy Birthday, Sister-Tia," I hope your dreams continue to come true!
In case some of you didn't know, Tia means aunt in spanish. This is what Joaquin calls his favorite aunt, who just happens to be my sister.
I couldn't have asked for a better sister than Tia, it wouldn't have been possible if I tried. Sometimes I desperately wish that I could have given Joaquin a brother, with the hopes that he could experience a relationship with a sibling like mine. When Grandma talks about her sister, you can hear it in her voice, I know exactly how she feels.
Tia is beautiful, kind, patient and smart. She used to read to me at night; she did the best Brer Rabbit ever. She potty trained me and used to take me on her dates with Tio Danny. Some of my best memories involve Tia...A rainy Saturday, listening to Colour My World on the stereo, over and over again, while frying up some doughnuts made from Pillsbury biscuit dough rolled in sugar.
More recently, she saved Joaquin from a crazed mother on the verge of pulling out every plant from the backyard as an example of what it would look like if he continued to pull Mommy's plants out. "I'll just take him with me," she said calmly.
Not that she's always sugar and spice. There's the episode that we call the "Lizzie Borden Incident," where Tia woke Mommy up at 3 AM because the dishes had to be done right then! There's the "Compact Incident" (Little girls and makeup don't go over very well with her, huh Angelica.) and who can forget the "Booklight Incident," I mentioned a few days ago.
We don't really say "I love you" too often. Maybe it just doesn't seem to be enough to voice how we truly feel. "Te amo," or "Je t'adore," comes closer, but we don't say those either, but we definitely feel it. That's why a hug goes a long way with us. We do say "thank you," a lot though. So, thank you, Grandma (and Popo), for giving me my sister and "Happy Birthday, Sister-Tia," I hope your dreams continue to come true!


<< Home