I'm here now: http://oyblog.blogspot.com/


Currently...

    Follow me on Twitter

    javascript:void(0) Preview

    Sunday, March 21, 2004

    Circo Bilingual
    Went to the "Bilingual Circus" today. I chuckle everytime I refer to it. I didn't want to go at first, don't know why, guess I thought it would be kind of lame. What's a bilingual circus? They were calling it "Circo de Food City." What's that about? Shouldn't it be "Circo de Ciudad de Comida" or something? Anyway, we went.

    Joaquin didn't show very much interest, except for when they brought out the boxing kangaroo and the chinese dragons. Good thing we didn't pay to get in. Actually, nobody was paying. They all had vouchers. I wonder how they make their money. Daddy said it's by selling CLTs (our acronym for "crappy little toys") for $10 a pop.

    I did a quick search on the Royal Hanneford Circus, which they kept referring to during the show, and was surprised to learn that the USDA does inspections on circuses and this one was cited for not providing adequate veterinary care among other things. Well, no wonder, if they don't charge. Actually, this seems to be the norm in circus environments. Ringling has been cited for similar incidents.

    I am not anti-circus but you do feel for the circus animals. They had tigers, mini horses and Arabians, elephants, a kangaroo. And it made me particularly sad when they put the kangaroo back into a box that barely contained him right after the performance. Sad thing is that this would be the perfect opportunity for kids to get close to an animal because during intermission and afterward, they let the kids have elephant and pony rides. We didn't go into the arena since Joaquin wasn't interested and after reading that this is the circus that had the mad elephant, I'm glad we didn't.

    Wow, didn't mean for this to be such a downer post. I mean it was the CIRCUS! With cotton candy and light-up toys and shiny costumes and stuff. I particularly liked the magician act where the lady changes costumes in a split second. She must have changed into eight or ten different outfits! That's my kind of act! I also liked the "World's Fastest Juggler." Daddy liked the scantily clad trapeze artists and aerialists.

    Best part though must've been that there were NO CLOWNS (although Daddy said he did miss them). Hey, I know, maybe we should replace the animals with clowns. You could have sixteen clowns running in a circle while the horse trainer cracks the whip. Or, you could have clowns jumping through flaming hoops. Or the clowns can give the kids rides on their backs. Then everyone is happy!