I'm here now: http://oyblog.blogspot.com/


Currently...

    Follow me on Twitter

    javascript:void(0) Preview

    Thursday, January 27, 2005

    Mmm, Sounds Like Good Eats

    I will always remember the special meals my mother prepared: The enchiladas, the potato soup, the tamales, the albondigas. I'll remember how almost everything she made tasted good. A pleasant memory I will have for a lifetime.

    You know what Joaquin'll remember about my cooking? The smoke detector.

    Aside from, or maybe because of the fact that I make the smoke detector go off almost every time I cook, Joaquin is scared to death of it. It is in our hallway and he runs by everytime he has to go to the bedroom or bathroom. When it catches his attention, he stares at it constantly, just waiting for it to beep.

    He always asks me not to cook today because he doesn't want the smoke detector to go off. I don't think I'm a bad cook, I can make some pretty tasty stuff. It's just that I don't pay enough attention, I guess, and something almost always burns or gets smokey.

    If we take the innards out of the smoke detector and leave it hanging while I cook, he freaks out. And the beeping when we remove and replace the battery doesn't help matters either.

    I'm gonna go to my grave blaming Daddy for this in a very dramatic way. I'll say, "Son, [cough, cough] if Daddy had replaced the fan over the stove [cough, cough], the smoke detector wouldn't have bothered you caused you to lose your hearing. [Cough!] Come closer, Son. [Cough!] If the switch to your kitchen fan ever shocks your wife two years after you buy your house [cough, cough]...Just fix it. [Cough! Gasp! And, I'm out.]"