I'm here now: http://oyblog.blogspot.com/


Currently...

    Follow me on Twitter

    javascript:void(0) Preview

    Friday, January 21, 2005

    No Fear

    Friday night, Chico's Tacos has gotta be the safest place in town. We saw five cops there within the eight o'clock hour.

    Joaquin was so excited. He kept saying, "I'm gonna say 'Hi,' Mommy. Then I'm gonna tell him to put the hooks on you. Mommy you like the hooks." "I'm not that kind of girl," I told him. Eventually he got the courage to ask one of them for the hooks. "The hooks?" Asked the policeman. I explained that he calls the handcuffs, hooks. So Joaquin got to actually hold the hooks and examine them. I told him not to get too used to them.

    Another policeman gave him a sticker shaped like a badge. "I'm gonna give this to Daddy so he can pretend he's the police and put the hooks on me." That was Joaquin saying that, not Mommy (too bad, Daddy).

    Joaquin's excitement reminded me of when I was little. I loved policemen. I was picked up by them quite frequently. Wait, that doesn't sound right, let me explain. They'd pick me up when I used to run away...wait, that doesn't sound right either, let me try again. I wasn't actually running away, I was going to my godmother's house, but Grandma would call the police because I was missing.

    The police would find me across major intersections, usually being detained at the Chinese grocer with candy, and bring me home. Me, in the front seat of the patrol car, with my arm around them, just a laughing and munching on candy. I was four.

    Grandma said she didn't know what I was telling them but they'd be giggling when they got there and they'd tell her, "She's okay, don't hit her," before they'd leave, because they'd see how sick and angry with worry Grandma had been. Finally, Grandma had enough and gave me a good one and I never ran away again. My adventures abruptly ended.


    Our other adventure today was the library. Joaquin asked to go. Good thing, because they are currently in the midst of their winter reading program. Joaquin really wants the blowup dragon, even though he doesn't know what it is.

    He is just too cute, not shy to go up to people to ask for what he wants, he went up to the librarian to ask her for Thomas books and that dragon. I really want to encourage that because lord knows, I'm not good at it. If he hadn't started the dialogue, I wouldn't have even asked if he was eligible for this program. All we have to do is read and log nine books and it's his! He doesn't really like the idea of having to earn it, but I think it's a good lesson in so many ways.

    Since I had to work on Monday, I got an extra day off, but my weekend is still going by way too quickly. Wait, weekend, wait! Hope everyone has a nice one, whatever you do.