Getting The Lead Out
For as long as I've known her, my friend, Pauline and her husband have tried not to buy stuff made in China. I chucked. Ivan hated when I came home from a store with a ceramic item that claimed, "Made in China." I scoffed.
Turns out they we right all along. This month, we've been besieged with reports of this item and that item, everything from bibs to toy trains, being recalled because they are tainted with lead paint or glaze or lead whatever. So, what are they trying to do, kill us?
What bothers me most is the American distributors who continue to insist these items be made so cheaply. We all know how inexpensive they are to make, yet we consumers pay hundreds of times more than the item cost to make. Like that Ty Beanie Baby dolphin that Joaquin had to have. It couldn't have cost more than a quarter to make and I ended up buying it for $5.00. Shameful. I'm sick of companies making the bottom line priority.
I told Joaquin that we won't be buying toys made in China. I think that's carrying it a bit far because it is very difficult to find CLTs* that aren't made there, but you'd better believe I'll be paying more attention and limiting our spending as well.
*CLT=Crappy Little Toy
Turns out they we right all along. This month, we've been besieged with reports of this item and that item, everything from bibs to toy trains, being recalled because they are tainted with lead paint or glaze or lead whatever. So, what are they trying to do, kill us?
What bothers me most is the American distributors who continue to insist these items be made so cheaply. We all know how inexpensive they are to make, yet we consumers pay hundreds of times more than the item cost to make. Like that Ty Beanie Baby dolphin that Joaquin had to have. It couldn't have cost more than a quarter to make and I ended up buying it for $5.00. Shameful. I'm sick of companies making the bottom line priority.
I told Joaquin that we won't be buying toys made in China. I think that's carrying it a bit far because it is very difficult to find CLTs* that aren't made there, but you'd better believe I'll be paying more attention and limiting our spending as well.
*CLT=Crappy Little Toy


<< Home